You just cannot deny that babies will create laundry. It is astonishing how such a small person can create a huge mess in the laundry. Before the kid comes into your life, babies create extra laundry for moms. Even if you can adjust to that, but once they are born, you obviously need to consider baby friendly detergents. Not all the baby friendly detergents available in market work exactly as they say. You will find a lot of baby friendly detergents scented and full of chemicals which are very bad for the baby clothes and diapers. Don’t go for the perfumed baby laundry detergents.
Not all the baby friendly detergents are prepared equally, and remember just don’t opt for the pods, NEVER! Remember the baby detergents need to have three basic features. First is, they must be Hypo-allergic to prevent baby skin. Second thing is, the baby detergents must be hard on any dirt, dust and stains. And finally, the detergents must be absolutely chemical free by all means. So that not only your baby skins but also your baby don’t inhale any chemicals.
For the delicate skin of your baby, you will need detergents as naturally as possible, but it must be effective too. Once your baby is born, there will be tons of laundry to do. Being a parent I know you want to become the master of handling your kid’s laundry. The laundry room is one of the most toxic rooms in your house. You keep all your cleaning products here. Forget injesting, even if your baby is exposed to the germs and bacteria, it will cause harm. You are looking for baby laundry detergents and you have to choose something nontoxic. It is not only good for the baby but good for you too.
Why Do You Need Special Detergents For The Babies?
There are innumerable baby detergents available in the market and which one you are going to buy depends solely up to you.
Laundry detergents just for the babies: These detergents are “baby specific”. You cannot use them in adult’s clothes. These detergents come with “no scent” at all. These detergents also have fewer ingredients. So the chances of skin irritation for babies are drastically reduced. Yes, some detergents come with a very mild smell and you can use them if they are good in removing stains. But if you get only “baby specific” detergents then you have to keep two detergents at home. One for the babies and one for the adults.
Care for sensitive skin is a must for the newborns and babies. Previously we didn’t get new clothes as soft as we get them now. There are always possibilities of infection. So, you need to make sure your baby’s skin is protected. One more reason you need special detergents for babies is, the new detergents come with a certain percentage of antiseptic lotions. It is really soothing for the baby skins. And this is why you can use it safely for cleaning the baby clothes.
The pee’s and the poops are toughest to wash away from baby clothes. You need to have a lot of patience. The general detergents for adults are not enough to wash away the stains because those detergents don’t have the necessary ingredients. The baby detergents are better in this genre. The baby detergents are created with well researched stain removal formulas which are mild. These detergents can wash away 9 different types of stains.
Maintaining the softness is another reason why you need baby detergents. Most of the general detergents claim that they maintain the softness of the clothes. But these detergents have very strong cleansing agents which affect the softness. Especially the daily home wears, which become easily damaged because of regular washing with normal detergents. The baby detergents maintain the softness of clothes.
The baby detergents are made considering both hand wash and machine washes. The baby detergents are mostly liquid which does not have any solid residues after drying. Thus, it does not cause any skin irritation in your hands after you wash off the clothes. The variety of clothes you can wash is also another important factor. You not only wash the nappies of your baby, you wash several clothes of different fabrics and materials. The normal detergents don’t work on the variety of clothes. But you can easily use the baby detergents for all clothes.
Why Regular Detergents Are A Strict NO For The Babies?
If you are a first time parent, then this is a very valid question that will come to your mind? The regular detergents clean clothes. But they are not suitable for babies. They leave a lot of harmful chemical residues within the clothes after washing. This is absolutely NOT suitable for baby skins. It causes skin irritation, eye irritation and skin breakout. You would never want to take your kid to a hospital. You can use the organic laundry detergent suitable for babies. Most of the baby laundry detergents prepared by companies are organic nowadays.
Now, one more thing might come to your mind that if your child is non-allergic to normal detergents, then do you need baby detergent? Well, it depends solely on your choice. Not every mom thinks the same. Even if your child is non-allergic, we would recommend baby detergents because it is better to be safe than sorry. All the pediatricians and dermatologists recommend using baby detergents. They are gentle on baby’s skin and they deal with the stains more effectively.
Tips To Select The Safest Baby Laundry Detergent
Yes, we know, being a parent you want to get the best baby laundry detergent for your kid. And if you child has eczema, itchy skin and any other forms of skin irritation, then it will be tough for you to select a suitable detergent. Before we show you how to select the best baby detergents, let us tell you what are the common things that irritate baby’s skin. The residue from laundry detergents, optical whiteners, synthetic perfumes, industrial enzymes, harsh bed linens and wet/moist fabrics can cause irritation in baby’s skin.
- It is better to select the liquid laundry detergents instead of powdered detergents because the liquid detergents have gentler cleansing agents than powders.
- The second important thing is to look for the ingredients. Check the full list of ingredients used in baby laundry detergents. You have to make sure there are no optical whiteners, any synthetic dyes and perfumes.
- You also have to check for the third party certifications. For instance a lot of baby detergents in New Zealand have got the tag of Environmental Choice. This ensures that the product is prepared considering the environmental factors.
- Though some of the baby detergents come with fragrances and they are good too, still it is better to use the fragrance free products. The fragrances are prepared with 100-350 chemicals and they don’t disclose it. Fragrances are the top three allergens which cause allergen contact dermatitis.
What Happens If You Use Too Much Laundry Detergent?
Once you get your preferred baby laundry detergent, remember not to use too much of the power (or liquid, depending on your purchase). If you go overboard with the washing powder, there will be residue on the clothes. Even if you rinse properly, the residue will not go. So, it won’t matter if you are using a baby detergent. Using too much of it, will cause residual layers of baby garments and cause skin irritation.
One more reason you shouldn’t use too much baby laundry detergent is it reduces the machine efficiency. It clogs certain parts of the machine. Also, the quality of your clothes will deteriorate faster. It is imperative to use the proper amount of baby laundry detergent.
You can look for baby detergents that come with special dispense mechanisms. These mechanisms are pumps which ensure you are using the right amount of detergent. It is a bit expensive, but there can be nothing more expensive that your baby’s care, right? Also, these special dispense mechanism detergents will last more than any other normal detergent.
You can use a diaper sprayer. It is recommended but it also causes a problem of leaking sometimes. If there is the leakage problem, then you can opt for the flushable diaper lines. Cloth diapers need very less amount of detergent. Soap nuts are also great thing to clean the diapers without causing any irritation to skin of babies.
The Fabric softener is the most toxic element available in any baby detergent. It will reduce the fire retardancy in infant clothing. If you really need a fabric softener, then you can add 1/4 c white vinegar to the rinse cycle. It works as a natural fabric softener.
Here in this article, we are going to offer you complete details about the Top 5 best baby laundry detergents. These detergents are not only baby-friendly, but they are eco-friendly as well. Check them out below!
Top 5 Best Baby Laundry Detergents
#1: Deft Stage 2
The introduction of the Deft Stage happened in 2015. We are here to discuss the Deft Stage 2 laundry product. The baby-friendly detergents are specifically prepared for the delicate skin of the babies, and this is why the Deft Stage 2 is just the perfect choice. The product is available in safely packed containers that are neutral to any chemical reaction. Every bottle weighs 3.6kgs.
One of the most important features of Deft Stage 2 is, it is hypoallergic. It removes all the stains from baby’s clothes, but it does not have any effect on the skin of babies. It has been prepared for High Efficiency and standard washers. So if you have to do regular laundry of your baby, this will be ideal for you.
It is also recommended by Pampers which is one of the most recommended brands of baby products. It comes with fresh scents that have no chemical effect at all on the baby’s skin. You can wash baby clothes made of 100% cotton and polyester/cotton blends. The Deft Stage 2 is clinically tested on baby skin, and it is found to be the most gentle baby detergent of all times.
Ingredients of Deft Stage 2 :
Deft Stage 2 mainly focuses on the laundry of the newborns. It comprises of Diethylene Glycol, Propylene glycol, sodium formate, and dimethicone which processes aid. The surfactants include MEA Salt, Linear alkylbenzene sulfonate, alcohol ethoxy sulfate, and sodium fatty acids. The surfactants wash away the initial layer of the stains making it easy for other elements to eradicate the stains. The elements in Deft Stage 2 that capture oil are Borax and MEA Citrate.
- Deft Stage 2 works very well on the lightly soiled clothing and bedding materials for babies.
- You can feel the clothes light and soft, and it has got a very fresh scent.
- It is hypoallergic and perfect for newborn babies because it has no chemical elements to cause rashes in the sensitive skin of babies.
- You can use it to wash both babies and adults clothes.
- It is the best choice of the pediatricians, trusted by moms, and recommended by pampers.
- To be very specific, the product does not have cons. But some people found the fragrance to be hard for babies while a huge number of people disagreed with this fact.
- One more factor is, for the stained clothes, it might take a bit more time to wash off the stains. Some stains will come out in just one wash while for other stains, you might need to rub a bit more Deft detergent directly within the stains. For heavy stains, like feces stains on diaper covers, you need additional soaking.
#2: Seventh Generation Natural Baby Laundry Detergent
The Seventh Generation natural baby laundry detergent is a specially designed stain remover of baby’s clothes. It can remove any baby stains starting from milk stains, feces, diaper disasters and any other stains. You can use it on all forms of baby laundry needs starting from wearable’s to the cloth diapers.
One of the most important aspects of the Seventh Generation Natural Baby Laundry Detergent is it completely relies on the power of enzymes for eradicating the stains. And this is why there is no effect or rashes on the baby skins. The three principal features of Seventh Generation Natural Baby Laundry Detergent are:
- It is Made for the sensitive skin of babies.
- It focuses on the tough baby stains making it easy for you to wash off the stains on one go.
- It comes with a very gentle hypoallergic formula.
It is free of any fragrances, artificial brighteners, and dyes and this is why it has got zero harmful effects for babies. There are no synthetic fragrances too. The fresh scent is derived 100% from the essential oils and other botanical extracts. The primary ingredient of this baby detergent is 100% recycled paper. Even the cotton material stains are easily washed away with this product.
The bottle of this detergent is made with 100% recycled plastic. It contains, water Laureth, plant-derived cleaning agent, glycerin, oleic acid, sodium hydroxide, sodium chloride (salt), cedar oil, benzisothiazolinone, and a lot more plant extract.
- One of the best advantages of the Seventh Generation Natural Baby detergent is, the company focuses on the upgrade of the product. Thus, once you are finished with one container of this product, you can also check whether updated version of this baby detergent is available or not.
- Premium stain targeting performance with 4X enzyme fighting formula.
- The fragrance is natural and it comes from the essential oils.
- Another advantage of this detergent is, even if you wash the stains a few days later, it will wash off the stains completely. The 4X enzymes are so powerful it can wash off stains of previous 3-4 days.
- A lot of baby detergents can be the reason of skin allergies to babies. But this one does not have any allergic effect at all.
- A few people complained about not getting the fragrance that was promised to them.
- In the previous version there was 97% bio-based, but in the new version, you will get 95% bio-based product.
- The product sometimes might have a moldy smell.
#3: Babyganics 3x Baby Laundry Detergent
If you are looking for something that can wash away the stain and also safe for your baby, then this one is ideal for you. The Babyganics come with a super cleaning formula which is useful for both the stains and not at all harmful for the skin. It comprises of sulfate which is great for the babies and offers enzyme based cleaning power. It has no harmful components like the sulfate, optical brightness, phosphates, chemically harmful fragrances and dyes.
It is very gentle and comes with plant based cleaning powder. So it is a natural product with no side effects at all. It has anti-allergic ingredients tested by pediatricians and dermatologists. It has got the new super cleaning formula which can wash off any stubborn stains in one wash. It can work very efficiently on the spit-up stains and any other baby mess.
It is non-abrasive, hypoallergic and no added fragrance is present. The Babyganics 3X will rinse out the stubborn stains and stinkyness that comes along with it. Every cloth will feel soft, bright, absolutely spotless and so safe for the babies. The best feature of Babyganics brand is, they focus on exploring products which are safe and clean for baby usage. And they had succeeded in discovering the exact baby detergents you need.
Water, coconut oil, sodium citrate dihydrate, propanediol, oleic acid, protease and amylase, sodium gluconate, sodium tetraborate, and calcium chloride.
- It is triple concentrated (3X) with stain fighting powers, and this is why it performs faster.
- You need less detergent per load.
- Saves time on additional washing and saves money on more detergent.
- Suitable for both babies and adults clothes.
- The formula is prepared naturally with plant based ingredients. It’s hard on thee stains but gentle on baby’s skin.
- If you have eczema in your family, this is the best detergent to use. It has got anti-allergic components which prevent all kinds of skin infection and allergies.
- Complaints on eye irritants.
- Sometimes the ingredients are not up to the mark.
#4: Purex Baby Laundry Detergent
The Purex baby laundry detergent is manufactured in the USA by the Dial Corporation. It is a division of Henkel which is an international company manufacturing cleaning products, adhesives, and personal care products. The name Purex came into existence in 1923 which was initially coined for Chlorine bleach. But here we will tell you how the Purex branded Baby laundry detergent works. But before we get into the details, here are the ingredients of Purex Baby laundry detergent.
The formula is developed considering the soft skin of babies. It is complexly hypo-allergic, and no dyes are available in it. It performs very well in removing the stains. One of the most important aspects of this detergent is the bottle is made up of 25% post-consumer recycled plastic. So you can use it again for any other purpose. The formula is thoroughly tested by dermatologists. It is proved and ensured that this detergent has no skin irritation for both babies and adults.
It comprises of Water, Alcohol Ethyl Sulphate, Linear Alkylbenzene Sulfonate, Sodium Chloride, Alcohol ethoxylate, sodium polycarbonate, fatty acids, and sulphonic acid. It is a baby laundry product available in mid-range. You will get it in two sizes readily available for loads of baby laundry. For standard loads, you can fill up the cap level 1. It is equal to 1.5Oz. You can use more for heavily soiled and large loads. It can take up to 50 loads.
- The Purex Liquid baby detergent works well also in regular clothes. It is just specially formulated to be more sensitive towards baby clothes.
- It works great at all temperatures. Still, if you want to prevent your clothes from fading, consume less energy, then keep the temperature of water at 70 Degree Fahrenheit.
- It works perfectly well even with hard waters.
- It is safe for the septic tanks too.
- There are no dyes, and this is why it is not colored.
- Some users complain they don’t smell the fresh baby fragrance in the product.
#5: The Laundress Baby Detergent
The Laundress Baby Detergent is the last one in our list of top 5 best baby detergents. But that does not mean that this product is somewhat lesser than any other above mentioned baby detergents. It is an allergen-free baby laundry detergent. The detergent is tough on the stains but very gentle on baby skin.
A great feature of the laundress brand is, they focus on manufacturing non-toxic and ecofriendly products. These products become very safe for babies too. It comes with a triple concentrated formula which eradicates any stains and odors naturally. The detergent does not have any chemical ingredients at all. This is why it preserves the color and integrity of the baby clothes which you have to wash frequently. The product is manufactured in the USA.
The baby detergent is scented. It is a mixture of different sweet powders which soothe you. It is very calming for the babies. Even the adults will love it too. It is highly concentrated, yet completely allergen free detergent. You will have 64 washes in a single bottle for a standard load of laundry. The color guard preserves the laundry which you have to wash regularly. It is perfect for regular usage. You can wash any cloth like cotton, linen blends, durable synthetics as well as entirely white colored garments.
For the removal of stains, odor, and dirty areas, you can use the Stain Solution or the Wash Stain Bar. For the extra softening feature, wrinkle reduction, and static control, you can use the Fabric Conditioner available in this Laundress Baby Detergent. The detergent is completely free from any allergens, petroleum, phosphates, phthalates, dyes, SLS and any other chemical or animal by-products.
Plant derived anionic and non-ionic surfactants, enzymes for fighting stains like protease, amylase, amylase, lipase and cellulose, the mineral derived cleaners, some essential oils. All are made from biodegradable and non-allergen products.
It comes with a lot of stain fighting and cleansing enzymes, cleaning enhancers manufactured from natural minerals like borax, sodium, calcium chloride and gluconate, and fragrance. But the fragrance is not at all irritating to sensitive skin which makes it really safe.
It also has non-toxic allergens, biodegradable, free materials. There are no animal by-products, and all the Laundress ingredients are tested on Gwen and Lindsey. To get the best results in washing, it is better to use hot water.
- It is effective in all temperature and water conditions.
- The fabric softener works as an additive to keep the baby fabrics intact.
- It is also suitable to wash away stains of baby bleeding and to wash stuffed animals.
- Useful for hand washing, top loading washing machine, HE washing machine and Front loading washing machine.
- You can use it on Polyester, cotton, and fabric.
- It is phosphate free and dye free.
- Not useful for clothes made of silk.
The baby is your treasure. We bet you are willing to go to any extent to prevent your baby from every single pain and trouble. This why you need to be extra careful when you buy the baby detergents. We are glad to inform you that this article contains the 5 best baby detergents which are tested and proved to be entirely safe for infants. You can opt for any one among this list; it is up to you. You have to decide yourself which one is more suitable for you depending on the features, pros, cons, and ingredients of the baby detergents.
Well, after reading the article, one you might get confused to buy which one, because all of these above mentioned baby laundry detergents are brilliant. They are unique in their features, pros and cons. It is hard to tell which one will suit your baby. Not all the baby detergents available in the market are same, but these belong to the same standard. It is better to check out our in-depth review of the top 5 baby detergents in market. But which one you are going to buy, is absolutely a personal choice of yours.
There is one way to make sure what brands or exactly what baby detergent product will work for you. You can check out the ingredients carefully, look for the real time opinion of people who have used the product previously and then decide which one will be the best for your kid. You can go for the natural one. But there will always be a dilemma because natural may not be clean while clean may not be completely safe.
If you want to go for the natural detergents and worried about the cleanliness then you might have to put a bit more effort and find out additional means of cleaning the cloth and diapers. Since we love our babies so much, it is a life and death situation to offer them the bestest and safest product. These baby detergents have no exception.
Also, your budget is a major factor here. You have to decide accordingly. One thing we can say you for sure is, do not go for any brands because not all the brands of baby detergents are suitable for the sensitive skin of babies. The brands mentioned above are well established in the baby products market for a long time. So you can rest assure about safeguarding your child’s skin, keeping the clothes clean and get a budget friendly product. All the best!
Latest posts by Maria Connors (see all)